Animal Free Medications List
You may choose not to eat meat or not to purchase items made from animals, but there’s one place where avoiding animal products is nearly impossible: the medicine cabinet.
There’s a surprising number of animal products in pharmaceuticals, presenting vegans with a serious dilemma: weighing their health against their principles.
The most common animal derivative in medicine is lactose, which is used as a carrier, stabilizer or to add bulk. Gelatin, which is derived from the skin and bone of animals, also appears in many capsules and tablets.
Vegans also have to consider active ingredients in drugs like insulin, amino acid infusions and anticoagulents. Even medicines that don’t contain animal derivatives aren’t technically animal-free because laws and regulations dictate that medicine must be tested on animals before it’s approved for human use.
Anyway, to make it a little bit easier for you, Hairy Vegan has listed a few examples of some of the more common medicines that appear to contain no animal ingredients, including indegestion remedies, painkillers, cough and cold treatments and more. Some of the products are available over the counter, some are only available through a prescription.
Please note that pharmaceutical companies are regularly changing the ingredients they use in their produvts, so it is vital that you check with the company to ensure you are still actually using a vegan version of the product.
- Aspro Clear
- Aspro Clear Maximum Strength
- Co-Codamol Effervescent
- Paracodol Tablets
Chefaro UK Ltd.
- Panadol Actifast
- Panadol Actifast Soluble Tablets
- Panadol Extra
- Panadol Extra Soluble
- Panadol Original
- Solpadeine Headache Soluble Tablets
- Solpadeine Plus Soluble
- Solpadeine Plus Tablets
- Solpadeine Max Soluble
- Calpol Infant Suspension
- Calpol Sugar Free Infant Suspension
- Calpol Sugar Free Colour Free Oral Suspension
- Calpol Six Plus Suspension
- Calpol Six Plus Sugar-Free Suspension
- Calpol Six Plus Fast Melts
Relief for coughs and colds
Chefaro UK Ltd.
- Buttercup Syrup
- Beechams Flu Plus Caplets
- Beechams Flu-Plus Hot Berry Fruits
- Beechams Flu-Plus Hot Lemon
- Beechams Cold and Flu Hot Blackcurrant
- Beechams Cold and Flu Hot Lemon
- Beechams Max Strength Sore Throat Relief Blackberry Lozenges
- Day Nurse Liquid
- Night Nurse Liquid
- Olbas Oil
- Olbas For Children
- Olbas Inhaler
- Alka Seltzer: Original and XS
- Original Andrews Salts
- Phillips’ Milk of Magnesia
- Setlers Antacid
- Gaviscon – All Products
Latex condoms may contain the milk protein casein. Some also contain milk powder. However the following appear to be free from animal ingredients:
- Boots: Own brand: All
- Condomi: All
- Durex: Non-latex condoms - Avanti, Real Feel, Fetherlite Ultra and Deluxe
- Fair Squared (VEGAN SOCIETY REGISTERED)
- Glyde Health: Latex Condoms; Sheer Glyde Dams
- Lifestyles: All
- Mates SKYN: All
- ONE: All except ONE Zero
- Pasante: All latex condoms
- Safex: All
- Sir Richard’s Condom Company: All
- Tesco: Sequre range: All
All of these appear to contain hormones, lactose, or both. Hormones are often derived from animals. Remember that if this is the contraceptive that works for you, you are not obliged to switch to an animal-free version.
- Janssen-Cilag: Evra contraceptive patches contain no animal-derived products.
- Bayer: Noristerat contains no animal-derived products.
- Pfizer: Depo. Provera injection contains no animal-derived products.
Most IUDs contain hormones, but there is however an IUD made with copper and no hormones.
- Teva: manufacture tablets that do not contain animal ingredients
This list does not cover all medications that are free from animal substances. you should always check with the manufacturer if you are unsure.
Important Note: Hairy Vegan has no involvement with any of these companies and does not endorse the use of any of the products listed above. Please always seek professional medical advice regarding any medications with a doctor, pharmacist or prescribing health professional. The information listed above was found on the Vegan Society website and only ones specified by them are registered by them. We can not guarantee that any of these products will still be free from any animal substance as the information was provided by the manufacturers.